CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge










I've passed by the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge in Sherwood many times before.  I always tell myself that I'll have to stop and check it out one of these days.  This time, I decided to stop and take a look around.

There were a lot of cars in the parking lot.  The park itself is huge!  It is said to be home to nearly 200 species of birds, 50 mammals and 25 reptiles & amphibians.  I started down one of the paved trails.  I passed by lots of visitors who were mostly getting their daily exercise.    
I was impressed by the park.  It encompasses a lot of different ecosystems.  The trails were also well kept.  The trail went through a meadow, across streams, through a forest and down to the river.   

















































The foliage was beautiful.  I loved the moss covering the trees in the forest.   











It was hard to spot the wildlife without binoculars or my zoom lens.  One of the guides told me that a few deer live in the park.  Also spotted recently have been a coyote and a flock of bluebirds.

There were a lot of these fuzzy black and orange caterpillars around.  They were all over so you have to look where you walk.  They're in the parking lot and along the trails.  After doing some research, I found that they're called "Wooly Bear" caterpillars and will eventually become an Isabella Tiger Moth.

I got to use my macro lens to take this photo of a fat and icky looking spider and his or her web.  Cool!
One of my favorite things in the park was the cemented viewing platforms.  Apparently when they poured the cement, some curious critters couldn't help but check it out.  I believe these are raccoon tracks.  I love the little baby ones.  Cute!!
If you're ever in the area, spot by and check out this park.  It's really cool!  


Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge
19255 SW Pacific Highway
Sherwood, OR 97140

3 comments:

the red headed traveler said...

This looks like such a nice and peaceful spot! I also love the paw print photos.

Wendy said...

I love those little prints in the cement!

~Holly~ said...

Adorable huh? =0)