CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 4, 2011

What's Cooking: Steamed Clams with Portuguese Sausage

I had some leftover Portuguese sausage in the refrigerator and had already planned on making steamed clams.  I found this recipe using chorizo.  I changed it and used my Portuguese sausage instead.  I served it on a bed of linguine pasta with crusty bread to soak up the juices.  Delicious!!


Steamed Clams with Portuguese Sausage
Adapted from: Steamed Clams in Wine and Chorizo from Gourmet, July 2001
Serves: 2


















1 medium sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. dry white wine
2 lb. clams (Manila or littleneck), scrubbed 
1/4 lb. hot Portuguese sausage, diced in 1/4 inch cubes
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
salt and pepper

1) Place the clams in a large bowl of cold water and let them stand for 1 hour.  This will help remove the grit in the clams.  Scrub them well and set aside.  

2) Cook onions, garlic, cumin seeds and salt in olive oil in a pan (with a lid) over medium-high heat.  Stir occasionally until the onions are translucent, about 7-9 minutes.  

3) Pour in wine and bring to a boil.  Add the clams and Portuguese sausage and return to a boil.  Cover the pan and cook until the clams open, around 7-8 minutes.  Discard any clams that don't open after 9 minutes of cooking.  Add the parsley.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.  



3 comments:

the red headed traveler said...

This looks really good although I have always been too afraid to try clams or mussels lol! The closet I come is usually Manhattan Clam Chowder. Maybe one of these days I will finally man up!

~Holly~ said...

the red headed traveler: I hope you try them. They're so tasty!!

Mac said...

I love clams, sometimes I cook it with white wine, sometimes I cook it with spicy black bean sauce.