CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 1, 2011

What's Bakin?: Apple Cake

Since I had a surplus of apples, I decided to try an apple cake.  I wanted to make the cake more "healthy".  Haha, is that possible?  I used some whole wheat flour and decreased the amount of sugar and oil in this recipe.  The recipe came with a glaze but I omitted it since it seems very sweet.  I used just Gravenstein apples and it was just a hint of tart.  If you're using sweet apples, you may want to decrease the sugar even more.  


















The cake turned out really moist and fluffy!  It was a hit at work the next day.  I didn't have any nuts but I think pecans would be delicious in this cake!  This is my version of an apple cake.  



Apple Cake
Adapted from www.food.com & submitted by out of here
Makes a 9 x 12 pan



















2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. 2% milk
1 c. apple sauce
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 c. diced apples
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) In a large bowl, combine the 2 kinds of flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Make a well in the center of the mixture and set aside.

3) In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, oil, milk, applesauce and vanilla extract.  Stir in the apples and nuts (if using).  Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, just until moistened.

4) Spread the batter in a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

**Linking up to Allison at The Life of a Novice's Apple Harvest Party**

4 comments:

Allison at Novice Life said...

Yum! I think I need to give this one a try too :) Thanks for linking up to the Apple Harvest Party!

the red headed traveler said...

Yum! If only I had some of that waiting for me for dessert :)

Rowena... said...

Ooooh...i gotta try this! The galaxy apples that we picked are more tart than sweet so I might cut the sugar a wee bit. Thanks for sharing this!

~Holly~ said...

allison: This is a very moist cake. I hope you like it! Thanks for hostessing the Apple Harvest Party!

the red headed traveler: LOL! It's a really easy cake to make. Go get you some apples!

rowena: I hope you and your galaxy apples enjoy this cake!