CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 1, 2011

What's Cookin?: (Semi-Meatless Monday) Tuscan Kale Caesar Salad

While reading the July 2011 issue of Bon Appetit, I came across a lovely recipe for Tuscan Kale Caesar Slaw. I thought the timing was perfect because I knew I had to harvest my kale soon.

I followed the recipe as stated but used 2 boiled eggs. I didn't run my boiled eggs through a strainer. I just chopped them up (why be fancy?). I'm usually not a fan of raw kale. I think it's because it's too crunchy in the raw form. However, this recipe worked because the kale is chopped into ribbons and the acidity in the dressing "cooks" the kale and makes it softer. I also renamed the recipe because it wasn't really a slaw to me. For the dressing, the anchovies I found were only 6 to a can so I used what I had. This is what they look like:

The dressing recipe makes about 10 oz. I only used 10 oz. of kale (as opposed to the 14 oz. it called for) but there was way too much dressing. Next time I'll only use about 2/3 of the dressing and add more if needed. Otherwise, this is a home run salad!

Once again, it's not totally meatless since there are anchovies in the dressing. You'll forgive me for posting this on Monday won't you?


Tuscan Kale Caesar Salad
Serves: 4-6


Dressing (makes 10 oz.):
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice (or the juice of 1whole lemon)
8 anchovy fillets (packed in oil), drained
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
3/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. finely grated Parmesan cheese

1) Combine the lemon juice, anchovy fillets, garlic and mustard in a blender. Puree until the mixture is smooth. With the blender still running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil (drop by drop), to make a creamy dressing.
2) Transfer the dressing to a bowl and stir in 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover dressing and chill.
**Dressing can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated**

Salad:
14 oz. (about 8 c.) Tuscan (or Lacinato) Kale, center stalks removed & leaves thinly sliced crosswise
1/4 c. finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
salt and pepper

1) Chop kale into thin ribbons.
2) Place kale in a large bowl. Add dressing to coat (only add as much as you need). Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Top with 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese and chopped boiled egg.
**Since I like my kale wilted, I added the dressing and placed the salad in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to soak in the flavor. I added the cheese and eggs just before serving.**

3 comments:

Ben Czajkowski said...

This looks delicious. If I try this, I might have to try something other than the anchovies.

Mr. H. said...

I have never made anything with anchovies but have always wanted to and this dressing of yours sounds really good....might have to try it.

~Holly~ said...

Ben: I hope you enjoy the kale salad minus the anchovies!

Mr.H: This was my first time with anchovies also. It was a very tasty salad. The dressing stood up nicely to the tough greens!