CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 21, 2011

What's Cookin?: Saba Shioyaki (Broiled Mackerel)

I forgot to post this earlier in the week. I had this saba with my Nasu Dengaku. It was delicious!


Saba Shioyaki (Broiled Mackerel)


Saba (mackerel) fillet
sea salt
extra virgin olive oil

1) Turn on your broiler. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the foil (just to the fish doesn't stick).

2) Cut your mackerel fillet into pieces (usually 2-3 per fillet). Lay your fish skin side up on the sheet pan. Salt the skin with sea salt. Let the fish rest for about 5 minutes.

3) Place your sheet pan in the oven (about 4 inches from the broiler). Cook for 5 minutes and check your fish. The skin should be browned and the edges of the fish should crisp up. Cook for minutes at a time and keep checked so you don't burn the fish. Cook until it is done to your liking. Remove from the oven. Serve with rice. Saba is usually served with grated daikon (radish) and soy sauce and/or lemon.

2 comments:

Mac said...

I love broiled fish, sanma is my favorite.

~Holly~ said...

mac: I've never heard of sanma. I also love broiled fish. Yum!!