CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 5, 2011

What's Cookin?: Pollo Verde (Tomatillo Chicken Stew)

This is my first year growing tomatillos. I was finally able to save enough tomatillo to make something out of it. You would think my first dish would be a salsa verde. That was my original plan, however, I changed my mind. I decided to make a dinner out of my tomatillos after coming across a delicious sounding recipe.

This is a yummy Pollo Verde (Tomatillo Chicken Stew) recipe. The tang and tart of the tomatillos blends well with the chicken stock and chicken. My stew wasn't as green as it should because I added more chicken stock than the recipe called for. Nevertheless, this stew is delicious!!


Pollo Verde (Tomatillo Chicken Stew)
Adapted from: www.simplyrecipes.com
Serves 4


Tomatillo Sauce (makes 2 cups of sauce):
1 and 1/2 lb. fresh tomatillos
1-2 fresh jalapeno chile peppers, chopped (include the seeds if you want the heat; I used only 1 pepper)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp lime (or lemon) juice
pinch of sugar

1) Remove the paper husks from the tomatillos and rinse well. Cut the tomatillos in half and place them cut-side down on an aluminum foil-lined roasting pan.
2) Broil tomatillos for about 5-7 minutes until the tops are blackened in spots. Remove from the oven and let them cool enough to handle.

3) Place the tomatillos, any juice they have released, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, lime or lemon juice and sugar in a blender. Pulse until the sauce is well blended.
**You can always make the sauce ahead of time and refrigerate until it is needed**


Stew:
1 lb. shredded chicken meat
salt and pepper
olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 and 1/2 c. chicken stock (I used 2 c.)
2 c. tomatillo sauce (see above recipe)
1 tsp. dried oregano or 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
1/2 c. packed chopped cilantro (optional)

1) Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add the onions to the pan. Add salt, pepper, cumin and coriander to the pot and cook for a few minutes until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or so.

2) Add the shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper if needed. Add the tomatillo sauce, chicken stock and oregano to the pot. Stir to combine. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 10-15 minutes. If using cilantro, add it to the stew at the last minute.

2 comments:

the red headed traveler said...

This sounds really good and your tomatillos look terrific. I love anything Mexican and it is a recipe I'll definitely be bookmarking for future cooking :)

~Holly~ said...

I hope you try it! The other option is to brown up some chicken breasts or thighs (cut into bite sized pieces). It really was delicious!!