CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What's Cookin?: Pan Fried Padron and Shishito Peppers

I was only able to harvest 5 Shishito Peppers last week. This was just enough for a tease. I haven't found these peppers locally but the Spanish Padron Peppers are very similar. I found Padrons are the Farmer's Market this week. They were $4 a pint. Ouch! A small price to pay for these delicious peppers.

This is what the peppers look like side by side. To the left is the Shishito. To the right is the Padron. I can't wait until I am able to harvest more Shishitos!

This is a really quick and easy recipe. You can hardly even call it a recipe. Padrons and Shishitos are usually served as tapas or appetizers at restaurants. I love love love them this way or just grilled. Be careful when frying these, as there can be a lot of splashback with the hot oil.


Pan Fried Padron and Shishito Peppers



Padron or Shishito Peppers
olive oil
Hawaiian salt (or sea salt)

1) Heat a cast iron or pan over medium high heat on the stove. Add a little bit of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add 1 batch of peppers (working in smaller batches is easier to keep an eye on).

2) Keep a close eye on the peppers and turn them as they begin to brown or blacken. Once the peppers are browned on all sides, remove them to a plate.

3) Sprinkle with salt when the peppers are still hot and serve.

5 comments:

Why I garden... said...

I can imagine the peppers being really tasty. The beets in your last post look really colourful and nicely presented!

Wendy said...

I had this simple dish at a tapas place - it was so simple and spectacular!

~Holly~ said...

kelli: I love these peppers. Very simple but classic! Thanks! The beets were pretty and very tasty!

wendy: It's insane how expensive they are for tapas when they're sooo easy to make at home!! I love the simplicity but awesome taste! I could easily eat a few plates of these!

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, looks amazing! My peppers are finally setting out fruit.

~Holly~ said...

meemsnyc: I hope you have a wonderful pepper harvest! My plants are setting fruit like crazy!! I'm amazed!