CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 15, 2011

What's Cookin?: (Meatless Monday) Nasu Dengaku (Miso Grilled Eggplant)

My first eggplants of the season weren't simply grilled as I had planned. Instead, I decided a miso glaze would be better yet! This isn't an exact recipe. I'm estimating measurements for the sauce. It's really simple and delicious! It can either be a main vegetarian course or a side dish.


Nasu Dengaku (Miso Grilled Eggplant)


3-4 Japanese eggplant, sliced in half
1 Tbsp. mirin
1 Tbsp. sake
2 Tbsp. miso paste
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
sesame oil or olive oil for basting
toasted sesame seed (for garnish)
sliced green onions or chives (for garnish)

1) Place mirin and sake in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for a few minutes and cook off some of the alcohol. Reduce the heat to low and add the miso. Still well until the sauce is smooth. Add the sugar and soy sauce and continue to warm over low heat while you cook the eggplant. Be sure to stir frequently.

2) Turn on the broiler on your oven. Line a cookie sheet pan with aluminum foil. Brush sesame oil or olive oil on the cut sides of your eggplant. Place the eggplant (cut side down) on the cookie sheet.

3) Broil eggplant for about 3 minutes (checking to make sure it doesn't burn). Flip eggplant over and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the flesh of the eggplant are browned (but not burnt).

4) When the eggplant are cooked and browned, remove them from the oven. Top the eggplant with the warm miso sauce and place them back under the broiler. Broil for only 1-2 minutes (miso will start to bubble). Remove from the oven and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onions or chives. Serve warm.

4 comments:

genkitummy said...

Mmmmm...I have to try that. It looks good. I usually just steam my eggplant and eat it with shoyu. Your miso eggplant looks so much better!

takaeko said...

I love Nasu Dengaku (茄子田楽)!!
Your estimation of the sauce is exactly right, I believe. I believe your miso sauce was sweeter and more delicious, right?
I usually use red miso for the sauce of Dengaku.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Mmmm...I have to try these. But I need to bookmark it cause we still in winter . The eggplants seeds are not even sowed yet. Looks delicious.

~Holly~ said...

genkitummy: I usually have my eggplant simple like you but I decided to experiment this time.

takaeko: Thanks! It was a little sweet. Next time I may reduce the sugar in the sauce. I added the soy sauce to balance out the sweetness. Oh, red miso would taste yummy! Thanks for the tip!

MKG: I hope you get to try this recipe with you eggplant. I'll be jealous because I'll be freezing cold by then! =0)