CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 8, 2011

Orange Tomato Alert!

Imagine my surprise when I was out watering the garden and noticed this. I'm so used to seeing green tomatoes that I had to do a double take. Aha!! I see an orange tomato!! This is the only ultra-early variety I have this year. It's a Glacier Tomato and it's getting ripe!



Funny because it's even beating out the cherry tomatoes on the race to ripenest. I think these will be the second place finishers. These are the Green Zebra and they appear to be progressing very nicely.

Speaking of tomatoes, I have bad news. Apparently this is what happens when you don't stake properly. The loose tomatoes on the left were casualties of poor staking (Glacier Tomatoes). The tomatoes on the right (Cherokee Purple) were casualties of a stupid gardener. While I was trimming leaves, I mistakenly trimmed off a whole stem of lovely green tomatoes. Yes, this stupid gardener is very sad. As you can see, that is quite a few tomatoes. Luckily, the Cherokee Purple plant seems to be in overdrive. It's full of flowers and fruit. I'm not sure how much fruit a tomato plant can hold at one time but apparently my plant didn't get the memo. There's literally tons of large and small green tomatoes. I'm hoping they all reach maturity...and my tummy!

These green tomatoes won't go to waste. I'll make a small batch of green tomato pickles.

6 comments:

Mac said...

Glad your Cherokee Purple is productive, my CP is not doing well, as matter of fact, all my tomatoes are not doing as well as they should, maybe it has something to do with I didn't transplanted them myself and they know it :/

Rowena... said...

Green tomato pickles??? I should've thought of that before tossing the ones that got accidentally clipped as well. Happy that your little tommies are getting ripe!

~Holly~ said...

Mac: I hope your tomatoes cheer up since it's you caring for them now. I hope I get fruit from the tomato plants before the weather turns cool.

Rowena: Oh yes, I posted a green tomato pickle recipe last year. Try it!

meemsnyc said...

Oh man, that happened to me with my sungold plant. I accidentally snapped off a branch with maters forming. Oh well.

Ben Czajkowski said...

Yay! Ripening tomatoes!

~Holly~ said...

meemsnyc: Shucks! Did you save the green tomatoes for pickling? They make yummy pickles!

ben: Happy dance, happy dance!