CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 6, 2011

First Canning of 2011: Spicy Dilly Green Beans

I canned for the first time this year! I make these dilly green bean pickles every year. I love them!


Luckily, I noticed a sale at Safeway for locally grown green beans at 99 cents per pound. I had to go to 2 different stores to get 4 pounds worth of good looking beans. Although I grow my own green beans, I never have a large harvest all at once to can. I also had a lot of dill leaves to use up. Unfortunately the aphids infested my homegrown dill this year. This is what 4 pounds of green beans looks like.

Since I only had dill leaves (no heads with the seeds), I added 1/4 tsp. dill seeds to each of the jars. I also sliced up some jalapenos to go into the jar to make them spicy.
I made 2 recipes of Spicy Dilly Green Beans (which made a total of 8 pints). The recipe is really easy and if you're new to canning, it's one to try.

2 comments:

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

Nice work, Holly. I am patiently waiting for my beans to mature here:) We are currently eating our last jar from last summer.

Your farmer's market haul looks terrific. If you like to can peaches check out the u-pick place on Hwy 99 in Sherwood. Two years ago a friend and I did 70 lbs.

~Holly~ said...

Thanks for the info on the peaches Heather! Maybe next week I'll be peach pickin!!