CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Canning: Old Fashioned Bread & Butter Pickles

Can you believe I still have cucumbers left?? I thought I would do an Old Fashioned Bread & Butter Pickle so I can compare it to the "light" version I already made. Then I'll know which one to make for next year.

I'm so dumb. I forgot I had a mandoline (which would have made the first batch of bread & butter pickles go a lot quicker). Luckily I remember just in time to make a second batch! This time I was able to make fancy crinkle cut pickles. YEAH!!



Old Fashioned Bread & Butter Pickles
Yield: 8 pints
From: "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich



6 lb. pickling cucumbers, 4-5 inches long
2 lb. small onions, sliced into thin half moons
1/2 c. pickling salt
4 1/2 c. cider vinegar
3 c. sugar
2 tsp. ground turmeric
2 tsp. whole celery seeds
2 Tbsp. whole yellow mustard seeds

1) Slice the cucumbers crosswise 1/16 inch thick, discarding both ends. In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers and onions with the salt. Empty 2 trays of ice cubes over the vegetables and let them stand at room temperature for 3-4 hours.

2) Drain the vegetables. In a large nonreactive pot, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil. Add the vegetables and slowly return the contents to a boil. With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to pint mason jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Divide the liquid evenly among the jars. Close the jars with two-piece caps. In a boiling water bath, process the jars for 10 minutes. Or pasteurize the jars for 30 minutes by immersing them in water heated to 180-185 degrees F.


3) Store the cooled jars in a cool, dry, dark place for at least 1 month before eating the pickles. After opening a jar, store it in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Mac said...

Yum~ looks good, I've never made bread and butter pickles before, gotta try it someday.

~Holly~ said...

Mac: Some people love them. My SIL really like the sweet pickles. Me, I'm an equal opportunity pickle consumer but my favs are dilly pickles.