CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wildlife Wednesday 7/13/11

Here are a few (hopefully) friends in the garden this week. This spider was making a home on a tomatillo bud.

Here's a little wasp or bee. I hope he's a good guy!
It's hard to see these but I found some eggs on the underside of my eggplant leaves. I wasn't sure what the were but I was really hoping they were ladybug eggs. They were oval shaped and orange. I checked back every few weeks to see what hatched. Hooray for ladybug larvae!
They look very different from the ladybugs we're used to. I'm glad I recognized them as good guys! Here's one snacking on an aphid. Hooray!!
Here's another one napping in the nasturtium blooms.

What wildlife do you have in your garden?

3 comments:

Mr. H. said...

Very interesting, I was not sure about what ladybug eggs looked like, I will keep this in mind. Your other bug might be a sweat bee...they are good pollinators.

Ben Czajkowski said...

I seem to have attracted a ton of sweat bees here in Baltimore. They have been solely responsible for my dozens of tomatoes.

Okay, I can't verify that :)

~Holly~ said...

Mr.H-Look for clusters of yellow oval shaped eggs on the underside of leaves. I was happy to find several egg clusters this year. Hooray for ladybugs! Oh thanks for the ID on the bee. I'm glad they're good pollinators!

ben-Good for you and your sweat bee population! Haha, at least they're getting the job done!