CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What's Cookin?: Baked Buffalo Wings and Blue Cheese Yogurt Sauce

I've had serious cravings for buffalo wings for a while now. I don't know why. For the 4th of July, I went to a friend's for a party. I decided to make some wings and a small dessert. Rather than frying them (I hate frying chicken..oil splashing..ouch), I found a recipe for baked wings. I was prepared to be disappointed though, not frying hot wing? Please! The recipe actually turned out really really well (read through the recipe as it takes prep time and you'll have to start early). I left out the cayenne pepper in the flour mix but next time I think I'll add it or add more sauce to the dip. I wanted a touch more of heat to my wings.

I served the wings with some home harvested celery sticks (hooray!!) and a blue cheese yogurt sauce. If you love blue cheese dressing, this is a great alternative to save on calories. The Greek yogurt in the sauce makes it thick and hardy without the extra fat and calories. I added celery leaves (since I had some) and chives to give it a little zing and cut down on the cilantro as I'm not a huge fan of it. Also if you're making it for a get together, consider doubling the recipe. I posted the recipes separately to make it easy.


Blue Cheese Yogurt Sauce
Adapted from Bobby's Flay's recipe at www.foodnetwork.com

1 c. Greek yogurt
1/4 c. crumbled blue cheese
2 Tbsp. finely grated red onion
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh celery leaves
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
salt and pepper

1) Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the dressing flavors to meld.
-------------------------

Baked Buffalo Wings
Adapted from: Leesah on www.allrecipes.com
Makes: 20 wings per recipe


20 chicken wings, rinsed and dried well
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. hot pepper sauce (ie: Frank's RedHot)

1) Use dry chicken wings only to avoid soggy wings. Use paper towels to pat the wings dry before dredging in the flour mixture.

2) Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly grease with non-stick cooking spray. Place the flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt into a Ziploc baggie. Seal the bag and mix well. Add the dry chicken wings to the bag and shake to evenly coat them.

3) Place the floured wings onto the prepared baking sheet and place the baking sheet in the refrigerator. Let the wings sit with the flour mixture for about 1 hour.

4) When your chicken is ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and remove your wings from the refrigerator.

5) Melt the butter in the microwave. Whisk together the melted butter and hot sauce in a small bowl.

6) Dip the wings into the butter/hot sauce mixture and place them back on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes on one side. Remove and flip the chicken over and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and is crispy on the outside.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

wow, these wings look soooooo yummy!!

~Holly~ said...

wendy-They totally quenched my craving (with less guilt).

Ben Czajkowski said...

If you're ever looking for a real guilty pleasure and that buffalo chicken wing kick, I recommend looking up 'buffalo chicken wing dip' on AllRecipes.

~Holly~ said...

ben-I'll have to try that recipe!!