CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 4, 2011

Harvest Monday 7/4/11

This week I missed some photo ops. I harvested the rest of my lettuce and gave some to both my next door neighbors. They were really excited! I also pulled the gai lan and broccoli plants so I harvested what was left on the plants.

This week I picked some rosemary and thyme for a chicken dinner. I also harvested some day lily buds to try out. Did you know they are edible?? I made a stir fry with some left over veggies and topped it off with a nice Asian sauce.
This week I almost missed some ripened raspberries. I think they were trying to hide from me. These are small berries but they tasted good just the same!
I thinned out the beet patch and saved the leaf tops to use in my salad mix.

More Swiss chard!!

The spinach and arugula plants were showing signs of bolting so there were pulled. Some of the mustard greens were also bolting. These were the near end of them (for now).

I harvested the first strawberries of the year. Hooray! I know it's only 3 but it's a start! There's one baby onion that got pulled out along with some broccoli plants. I harvested some of the outer stalks of celery to use this week. I'm excited to try them since I've been babying these plants since winter. There was also more snap peas (small bowl) and shelling peas (in the basket).
Later in the week, there were more snap and shelling peas to be plucked.
I love how pretty shelling peas are.

What could be better than a bowl of fresh shelling peas??

Happy Harvest!!

This week's harvest totals:
- Lettuce = 1.6 lb (forgot to weigh the ones that went to the neighbors)
- Peas = 0.77 lb
- Broccoli/Gai Lan = 0.33 lb
- Herbs = 0.02 lb
- Daylily Buds = 0.04 lb
- Raspberries = 0.02 lb
- Swiss Chard = 0.75 lb
- Celery = 1.04 lb
- Spinach/Arugula/Mustard Greens = 0.25 lb
- Beet Tops = 0.09 lb

12 comments:

Robin said...

What lovely harvests you had this week! It looks like your celery is growing perfect! Lucky you to have raspberries and strawberries in the same week!

Keep up the good work!

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

beautiful! You have great variety in the garden. I'm jealous of your neighbors:)

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Beautiful harvest! My favourites are celery and definitely peas this week in your garden.

kitsapFG said...

There is absolutely nothing better than a bowl of fresh shelled peas. One of the finer things in life actually. ;D

Lovely varied harvest this week.

The Sage Butterfly said...

Your celery looks great...yummy! You have a lot to harvest! Happy harvest!

Doc said...

I have to eat before I read your posts, everything looks so great and makes me hungry. Nice harvest!

Daphne said...

I can't believe you are still getting spinach. I pulled mine over a month ago. It looks delicious.

Prairie Cat said...

You can eat day lily bulbs? Cool! How would you prepare them?

What's your favorite way to eat chard? We have been getting it a lot in our CSA basket and I don't know what else to do with it besides salads.

~Holly~ said...

robin-Thanks! I'm really surprised at how well the celery did. I was expecting some casualties so I planted all of the seedlings. I think I may have underestimated them! I don't expect a large harvest of either this year but it's been a real treat!

charmcitybalconygarden-Thank you! Maybe you should move to Oregon! ;0)

MKG-Thank you! I loved my very first celery harvest and peas are one of my favorite spring treats!

kitsapFG-I totally agree! They're my favorite!!

the sage butterfly-Thank you!

doc-You crack me up. Glad you love food as much as I do!

daphne-We've had such a cool spring that the cool crops are still going. I'm going to try another spinach and see what happens.

prairie cat-I just learned about eating day lily bud but I guess the Chinese have been onto it for a while. The dry them and sell them. I use mine fresh. I've only tried sauteeing them. If you click on the green link "stir fry", it'll bring you to my original post where I cooked them up. For the chard, I've been experimenting with them in many recipes. If you click on "swiss chard" on the labels tab on the right hand side, it'll hopefully link you to the ones I've posted. There's quite a few since I've harvested a lot of them. My favorites were the Smoked Salmon and Swiss Chard Quiche and the Spring Quinoa.

Mac said...

Beautiful varied harvest, love the daylily buds.

thyme2garden said...

What a bountiful harvest you got this week! Those shelling peas look yummy, although I love my sugar snap peas so much that I don't know if I can ever bring myself to grow any shelling peas where you throw away the pods.

~Holly~ said...

mac-Thanks!!

thyme2garden-LOL! That's what I thought to then had my first shelling peas from the garden. After that I make sure to make room for both!