CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Green Tomatoes

I'm still nursing my green tomatoes. A lot of the plants have already set fruit. This will likely be the first to ripen. It's a Glacier tomato.

Here's some cherry tomatoes.



I've been more diligent this year about pruning the tomato plants. I pruned to bottom stems to allow better circulation and prevent molding and blight. I also have been picking off suckers on my plants. This week I noticed the dreaded Blossom End Rot (BER) on some cherry tomatoes. This plant in particular has set lots of fruit already. It also went through a spell of uneven watering. I picked off the icky fruit and fertilized with calcium and watered well. Hopefully it'll stop and the rest of the fruit will be okay.

6 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

What do you use to add calcium? Do you add it in the soil or in the water? I'm seeing some bottom end rot too:(

the red headed traveler said...

Looking good! That is one vegetable in the plant I have never had any problem growing (I would always have an over abundance of them :)

~Holly~ said...

charmcitybalconygarden: I usually keep eggs throughout the year and during garden time I crush them into a fine powder and sprinkle around the base of the plants. This year, when I was planting the tomatoes, I used dolomite. Keep in mind that dolomite will affect pH so be careful. I've heard people using Epsom salt and Tums too.

the red headed traveler: Thanks!! I love tomatoes!!

~Holly~ said...

I forgot to add that you can either pick one of two scenerios if you're already seeing BER. It's not a disease so it doesn't affect the rest of the plant and doesn't spread. You can choose to keep the tomatoes affected. The rest of your tomato will develop. Just slice around the icky part when eating. Your other option is to pick off the affected fruit so that your plant will concentrate more energy into the good fruit remaining and making more instead of wasting energy on the affected fruit.

Since mine was a cherry tomato plant, I picked off the bad fruit. There's so much on there already I'd rather it concentrate energy on those!!

Ben Czajkowski said...

Blossom-end-rot is a huge pain in the blossom end. I've lost more fruits than I wanted to this year to it, even though I tried to be diligent about adding calcium to the soil.

Apparently, it also comes because of inefficient watering. And it doesn't allow the plant to get the nutrients it needs.

I've added calcium through water, but I'm going to add some eggshells to the soil tomorrow.

I hope your tomatoes get better :)

~Holly~ said...

Ben: I agree. BER is a pain! Thanks!