CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Farmer's Market 7/30/11

Today I made it to the farmer's market. It was a beautiful morning! I have serious tomato envy after seeing this!! Someone has a greenhouse!
For all you heirloom tomato growers, I have a funny (but concerning) story for you. As I was paying for my tomatoes, this is the conversation that followed:

Me: Are these Cherokee Purple tomatoes?
Cashier: No, these are Heirloom tomatoes.
Me: Yes, but what kind are they?
Cashier: They're Heirlooms.
Lady behind me in line with the same tomatoes in her hand (under her breath): Seriously?
Me (giggling at this point): Um, okay, but what type of heirlooms are they?
Cashier: What? Um, hey Don (yelling across the tent), what kind of tomatoes are these (holding them up)?
Don: They're Heirlooms.
Cashier: See, I told you.
Lady behind me in line: Wow...seriously? Maybe I should put mine back. They obviously didn't grow their own tomatoes.
Don (coming over to us): Well, these are Purple Cherokees.
Me: Okay, thanks for your help!

Today I came home with Italian Artichokes from Tillamook (on the Oregon coast). These are fabulous treats! I love the flavor of the purple Italian varieties!

I bought more peaches. These are Sweet Sue Peaches. They really live up to their name!

Who am I kidding, even after that amusing exchange, I couldn't resist a home grown ripe tomato!!
I also got breakfast. This is a pork tamale with a nice fresh salad from Gloria's Secret. It was delicious!!

5 comments:

the red headed traveler said...

Gorgeous photos! I have yet to make it to a farmer's market here and my only reason is laziness! The artichokes look stunning although I don't want to try cooking with them again after a fiasco with a recipe last month lol.

~Holly~ said...

the red headed traveler: Oh no...what happened!? My go to recipe is just to trim the artichokes and boil them with 3 cloves crushed garlic, 1 bay leaf and 1 lemon (juiced and rinds added). Boil for 30-45 min and drain.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Interesting conversation, makes one wonder;-). Those artichokes are pretty! I have never hold one in my own hand.

scrapper al said...

Do the Italian purple artichokes taste different from regular chokes? I love artichokes! I had a similar heirloom tomato conversation with a friend about the tomatoes she was growing, sigh.

~Holly~ said...

MKG: Haha, it was an amusing conversation to have at a Farmer's Market. I guess she wasn't the "farmer". ;0)

scrapper al: I like the flavor of the Italian artichoke better than the regular globes. You should try some and let me know what you think. Haha, amusing conversation isn't it?