CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Drying Celery Leaves

My home grown celery has a lot of beautiful and flavorful leaves. It seems like such a waste to compost these tasty tidbits. I used about 1/2 cup of celery leaves for a recipe for White Bean Tuna Salad which was wonderful. I loved how the celery leaves brightened up the mix.

Even after using these in the salad, I still had leftover celery leaves. I decided to dry them in the oven to use later. To do this, wash your celery leaves and dry them well. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (if you have it). Preheat the oven to 150 degrees F. Spread the leaves out on the cookie sheet in a single layer so that the leaves are not over lapping.
Bake in the oven until the leaves are completely dry and crumbly (about 45 minutes). Remove from the oven and cool completely. Crumble the dry leaves and place in an air tight container.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I never thought of drying celery leaves. What a great idea! Last year I froze my celery leaves in a separate container and used them when I was making stock.

Oh, your raspberries look yummy! That's a lot of raspberries from a container plant!

~Holly~ said...

robin-Thanks! I was trying to figure out how to preserve them and came across the drying them in the oven idea.

becky3086 said...

I always dry any celery leave that I get. I really like the flavor of them.

~Holly~ said...

becky3086: It seems like a waste not to keep them for use later. I love the flavor of them too!