CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Container Raspberry Plant

People have been wondering about my amazing container raspberry plant. I'm quite amazed myself. I didn't expect quite the yield. When I bought this plant, it was a pathetic stick. I planted it back around May 1st of last year. As a result, there were no fruit last year. I planted it in a large container and hoped for the best. I was mostly afraid to plant it in the ground and have it run amuck!

Well here's what it looks like. After doing more research, this variety (Meeker) has long branches. I'll have to come up with a better support for it next year. I basically tied the branches to the support posts of my deck.
The plant produced lots of foliage and lots of flowers. Lucky for me, the bees absolutely adored the flowers. They were buzzing around the raspberry plant day and night. This led to some spectacular berries.

I would have been happy with less but I've been able to harvest berries every other day or so. This week I harvested an entire pint of raspberries in one day. Not too shabby for a container bound raspberry plant! I'm loving the sweetness of these berries! It was an excellent investment!


8 comments:

Mr. H. said...

Very nice investment and one with recurring dividends to boot.:)

Doc said...

Holly,
Nice Raspberry harvest! This has been a good year for ours as well and the grandkids just love them. Thank you for the comments on my blog, you are very kind.
Doc

Hanni said...

Holy COW - that's amazing! :)

Mac said...

Envy envy envy~~~

the red headed traveler said...

I second the amazing comment, they look scrumptious!

meemsnyc said...

Oh my goodness! I am so amazed how large your raspberry plant is in that container! So awesome!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Whoa all that berries from one plant and in container! Super amazing.

~Holly~ said...

Thanks folks! Yeah, I'm surprised at my harvest of raspberries cause the pot that the raspberry plant is in isn't even that large at all!!