CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What's Cookin?: Swiss Chard Fridge Pickles

This is a great recipe to make sure none of your Swiss chard goes to waste. When I made my Kale and Swiss Chard Salad, I used only the greens of the Swiss chard. I de-stemed the Swiss chard but saved the stems to make this pickle.

I saw this recipe for Swiss chard refrigerator pickles in the June 2011 Bon Appetit issue. It was the article titled "5 Chefs/1 Ingredient". The ingredient was Sriracha. After getting started with the sauce, I realized that my Sriracha was expired. I substituted Sambal Oelek once again!

Swiss Chard Fridge Pickles
Adapted from Doug Flicker's recipe in Bon Appetit, June 2011
Recipe is for 1 pint of pickles (1 1/2 c. Swiss chard stems and 3 c. liquid)



1 1/2 c. Swiss chard stems, chopped
1 c. distilled white vinegar
2 c. sugar
1/2 sweet onion, sliced thinly
2 tsp. Sambal Oelek (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. dill seed

1) In a small bowl, mix the Swiss chard stems and sliced onions. Set aside.

2) In a small saucepan over medium heat, add vinegar, sugar, Sambal Oelek, celery seeds and dill seeds. Mix well and continue to stir over heat until sugar is melted. Do not boil.

3) Pack a clean jar with the Swiss chard stems and onion mixture.

4) Pour warm liquid over the vegetables. Cover and place in the refrigerator for a few days then dig in!


I had some leftover sauce and leftover Chinese cabbage so I decided to make some cabbage pickles also.

I'll let you know in a few days how they taste. They look delicious!

7 comments:

meemsnyc said...

That looks so awesome! I'm growing chard so I'll have to try that recipe. Thanks for posting.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Don't forget to post how it goes!Looking forward to it.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh these look awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe because I look forward to making these!

Why I garden... said...

So colourful, looks really good!

mac said...

The pickle look so pretty, thanks for posting the recipe, next time I'll remember to make some pickles with the chard.

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

your pictures are so beautiful! I love all the colors you have! How did you like your homemade kimchi?

~Holly~ said...

meesnyc-Thanks!! I loved being able to use the entire stem. I usually do but for that salad, the stems would seem out of place. I'm glad I was able to make good use of the stems.

MKG-You just reminded me, I have a followup post!

Alicia-Thanks! They're soo pretty eh?

Kelli-They're yummy!

mac-I hope you like the recipe. It's a little sweet so next time I may decrease the sugar but the spicy kick was oh so good!

charmcitybalconygarden-Thanks! Oh the kim chi was yummy too!! Served over hot rice...yum!