CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 20, 2011

What's Cookin?: (Meatless Monday) Kale and Swiss Chard Salad

I harvested some kale and Swiss chard this week. My refrigerator was already overflowing with other Asian greens so I decided to combine these greens for a nice and refreshing salad. This lovely salad was a nice break from the normal lettuce. If you prefer, the kale and Swiss chard can be left raw. I don't really care for the consistency of raw kale so I decided to blanch my greens instead. The dressing is very flavorful and the cranberries and almonds added a nice touch.

For my recipe, I used Lacinato kale. Be sure to de-stem your greens. For your Swiss chard, save the stems to make a quicky refrigerator pickle. (Recipe to be posted later)



Kale and Swiss Chard Salad
Serves: 4 (if greens are blanched) and 6-8 (if left raw)



Dressing:
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. agave
juice of 1/2 lime
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt & pepper to taste

1 bunch Tuscan or Lacinato kale, center ribs and stems removed & leaves cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 bunch Swiss chard, center ribs and stems removed & leaves cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. sliced toasted almonds
sprinkle of Parmesan cheese

1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil over the stove. While water is boiling, prepare dressing.

2) Whisk all ingredients for the dressing together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.

3) Once the water starts to boil, add kale first, then Swiss chard. Immediately turn off the stove. Drain vegetables in a colander and place in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Transfer vegetables back to the colander and drain.

4) Squeeze excess water from the vegetables and add to the large mixing bowl with the dressing. Add cranberries and almonds and toss well. All flavors to marinate for about 10-20 minutes.

5) Add greens to a plate and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to serve.

4 comments:

the red headed traveler said...

This looks delicious. I unfortunately can't eat greens of any kind (a really unusual food allergy) but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate their tasty look! I will have to try out the recipe dressing on cold veggies sometime. I've become immensely fascinated with swiss chard, there are a ton of recipes for it in the Indian cookbook I recently blogged about.

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

The color of the salad is lovely!

Aarthi said...

Hai Dear

This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog...Please check out my blog..It is for food lovers and person who love to cook..You could find so many recipes that you can easily try at home..I update this blog on a regular basis…So please follow me and motivate me..Thank you
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com

Aarthi

~Holly~ said...

the red headed traveler-Oh no! No greens! I'll bet the dressing would be delicious on sliced cucumbers or zucchini too. Mmm! Yeah Swiss chard is a great. Packed full of vitamins and very versitile.

charmcitybalconygarden-Thanks! It was tasty too!

aarthi-Thanks for visiting!! I will definitely have to check out your blog! Thanks!