CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What's Cookin?: Baked Kale Chips

I had a lot of kale and not a lot of room in the refrigerator. I decided to keep the Lacinato kale for cooking and make kale chips out of the Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch kale. Kale chips are so delicious and addictive! If you have a little one who doesn't eat vegetables, try giving them some kale chips to snack on. It may change their mind!

Try experimenting with different flavors. I made one tray of regular kale chips (just Hawaiian salt). I made the second tray with a sprinkle of mesquite seasoning and Hawaiian salt and after they were baked up, I sprinkled them with paprika for a nice smokey flavor. I liked these a lot! Curry powder would make an awesome flavor!



Baked Kale Chips

1 bunch of kale
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. Hawaiian salt or sea salt
mesquite seasoning or other seasonings (optional)
paprika (optional)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.

2) Wash and dry kale thoroughly. Remove the stem and rib of the kale. Tear kale into bite sized pieces.


3) Drizzle kale with olive oil and Hawaiian (or sea) salt. You can also add other seasonings if you want to at this point.

4) Place baking sheet into the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes or just until the edges of the kale are brown but not burnt.

6 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I never heard of kale chips before. So interested to try this when our kale is big, well if it survived not been munched by caterpillars or aphids attack.

mac said...

Yum ~~~ I tried once to make mock seaweed with kale, it was good.
You just cut the kale into ribbons and deep fried them quickly, sprinkle with salt, tasted just like those toasted seaweed.

~Holly~ said...

MKG: I hope you have extra kale to try this recipe. They're yummy! I love the crunch they bring. I'm hoping the catepillars save me some kale!

mac: Your mock seaweed sounds delicious!

Ali said...

Oh I have never heard of these! I think I'd like to try them, thank you :)

Ali

Shawn Ann said...

I tried using my Red Russian Kale to make kale chips the other day, and I think they were just too thin. They tasted burnt no matter how short or long I cooked them. boo! Maybe I'll try with a thicker variety next time.

~Holly~ said...

Ali-I hope you like them! They're a great alternative to the potato chip!

Shawn Ann-Bummers! Sorry they didn't turn out with that variety of kale. Try another. I hope you like them!