CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Planting out Melons and Warm Weather Veggies

Yesterday I took advantage of the mild weather to plant out my melons. They have been getting big despite not having a permanent home. They have been spending the nights on the deck to acclimate them to the cool Oregon nights.

Today they were planted out into their permanent homes. They went directly into the ground. Since the soil here is clay, they were given a lot of compost and chicken manure. I hope they like their new home. I tried growing a melon last year but the fruits didn't mature in time. I hope this year they will. I think my mistake was allowing too many fruit to try to ripen at the same time. This year I'll allow only a few per plant.

This year I planted the following melons from seed:
- Tularosa Market (seeds from Linda)
- Charentais
- Petit Gris de Rennes

I also planted one winter melon/squash:
- Kabocha

In addition to these plants, I decided to plant out the remaining peppers and eggplant.

0 comments: