CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Planting out Peppers, Beans and Squash

This weekend I got a lot of seedlings planted out. It's been a cool cool spring. Luckily, the rain has more or less held off. Still, daytime temps rarely have reached 75. This weekend was more of the same.

My peppers were suffering. Buds were forming and they were quickly outgrowing their little peat pots. Some leaves were forming black spots (maybe from lack of calcium? and hopefully not a virus). These pepper plants have been hardening off on my front porch during the day and the garage at night.

I decided to plant out one of each variety first to see how they tolerated the weather.
My beans were delayed because I have been putting off cleaning up this bed. I finally got to work and planted out the beans. I had some Borlotti Dwarf Beans and some Blue Lake Bush Beans.

My summer squash were starting to develop buds. It was time to kick them out of the nest. I planted 2 each out to see if they survived. I slug baited around the young plants to deter slugs.
Here's hoping for warmer weather soon!!

**Linking up to Jami's Garden Party**

7 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

exciting exciting! I hope all your plants adjust well!

Sherry said...

Your pepper plants look nice and big. I always feel setting out plants are like setting out hopes...... Here's to hope of a bountiful summer!

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

I hear you--I'm in Camas, and this weather has been less than ideal. We planted out tomato starts, and I am growing the whole bed under plastic, because I'd like to have some red tomatoes this year, unlike last year! Good luck with your lovely pepper starts--they look really nice and healthy.

Beth said...

Right on with the wish for warmer weather. This spring in Oregon has been a real challenge for gardeners!

~Holly~ said...

charmcitybalconygarden: Thanks!! So far, so good!!

sherry: Thanks! The peppers were suffering from not enough light and small pots inside. It was time to be free outside!

athena@minerva's garden: I know, spring...what spring? I sure hope it warms up soon. High's under 70 degrees is getting really old!

beth: I hope your garden does well this season also. It seems I was thinking last year's wet spring was bad but this year's cool spring is just as bad!

Wendy said...

You are going to have tons of veggies this year!

~Holly~ said...

Wendy-I hope it turns out that way this year!! Last year was a bad pepper and squash year for me. I'm hoping to turn the tide!