CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 20, 2011

Harvest Monday 6/20/11

Lots of greens are being harvested here in the Pacific NW (Oregon). I've been having to get creative with the recipes to keep it interesting. I've posted a few new recipes so be sure to browse the blog for them.

The Swiss chard plants are doing well under row covers. It was time for another harvest.

The arugula, spinach and Osaka purple mustards were also ready for another harvest.
I decided to harvest most of my lettuce this week. There was slug damage in some plants so I salvaged what I could. Luckily my lettuce windowbox (that was set outside on the deck) is also flourishing (with the added bonus of NO SLUGS!!). I'll be able to harvest those next week. I had lots of greens so I shared with some friends. Boy were they happy!
I also decided to pull out the last of my Asian greens (tastsoi, bok choy and pac choi.

This week's harvest totals:
Swiss chard=1.4 lb
spinach/arugula/mustard greens=0.47 lb
green onions=0.28 lb
Asian greens (tatsoi/bok choy/pac choi)=5.14 lb
lettuce=1.3 lb

8 comments:

kitsapFG said...

Nice harvest of greens this week! The slug damage is inevitable in our area (maritime pacific northwest) so I do my best to pick and remove slugs and have gotten quite skilled at trimming produce to get down to the good parts! :D

Allison at Novice Life said...

Don't you just HATE those dang slugs all over your lettuce - UGH!

Everything looks nice though :)

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Its really green festival over at your place. beautiful harvest of swiss chards.

Barbie said...

Slugs or no - Your greens still look very nice.

zentmrs said...

What a great assortment of greens!

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

very very cool! I'm sure your friends were super excited!

Daphne said...

Those greens look delicious. Now that it is over I miss all my huge Asian greens. I have a few small ones, but nothing big.

~Holly~ said...

kitsapFG-Thanks! I totally hear you on the slug thing. I'm getting good at finding them and destroying them. Also good at trimming around them!

Allison@Novice Life-I know...and here I thought I had them under control. That never happens in the Pacific NW!

MKG-Thanks! I love the greens but I'm getting impatient for the tomatoes, squash, eggplant and peppers!!

Barbie-Thanks!!

zentmrs-Thanks!! Gotta mix it up!

charmcitybalconygarden-Thanks! Oh yeah, my friends were super excited!

daphne-Yeah, me too. I have a big gap between these Asian green harvest and the next. It'll give me some time to appreciate them all the more!