CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 7, 2011

What's Cookin?: Pork Meatball Pho with Asian Greens

This week I had a great Asian green harvest (my first of the season!). I picked some Chinese cabbage, baby bok choy, tatsoi and pak choi. I've been waiting impatiently for these yummy greens! I decided to make a pork meatball pho. The pho turned out awesome! I brought some to work and shared with my coworkers. It was a hit!


I don't really have a recipe for this. It was mostly ad lib but you get the idea.


Pork Meatball Pho with Asian Greens
Serves 6-8


pork meatballs
8 c. chicken stock (2 x 1 quart boxes)
ginger
green onions
sherry
soy sauce
your choice of Asian greens
rice noodles.

1) Make your favorite pork meatballs. I used about 1 and 1/3 lbs. of ground pork to make enough for the soup. Roll meatballs into 1 inch balls and set aside.
2) Add chicken stock, ginger and green onions to a large pot. Add sherry and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer.
3) When soup comes to a small boil, drop meatballs into the simmering soup. Simmer gently (without boiling) for about 20 minutes.
4) Place your rice noodles into a bowl and add boiling water. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick your noodles are). Test for doneness. Drain and rinse with cold water when done. Set aside.

5) Add your choice of Asian greens to the soup and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the greens are just wilting.

6) Add some noodles to a bowl. Spoon meatballs and broth over noodles. Serve hot.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

looks yummy. I'm never quite sure how to perfect the pho base, but I'll definitely try yours!

~Holly~ said...

Thanks Wendy! I'm not sure my soup by itself tasted like it was all that but once I added the meatballs and all the flavor cooked out of it, it was definitely a winner!!