CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 23, 2011

What's Cookin?: (Meatless Monday) Smoked Salmon and Swiss Chard Quiche

Since I had lots of lovely swiss chard from my harvest, I decided to use them in a new recipe. I found a recipe for swiss chard quiche online. I decided to modify it by adding smoked salmon (yummy!!) and other extras. Again, this recipe is (red) meat free but uses seafood. You could easily omit the salmon to make it truly meatless. You could also add other meats such as bacon or ham to this quiche.

This recipe rocks! I loved loved loved the way it turned out. It would make an amazing meal for brunch or dinner. I served my quiche with a side of lightly sauteed Asian greens (also harvested from my garden). I feel so proud to have grown this meal!


Smoked Salmon and Swiss Chard Quiche
Makes 1 pie


1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 white onion (sweet), diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bunch swiss chard
8 oz. smoked salmon, shredded
4 eggs
2 1/2 c. mixed shredded cheese (I used 2 c. Tillamook Italian Blend-mozzarella, smoked provolone & parmesan and 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheeses)
1 c. 2% milk
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. mustard powder (Colman's is the brand I used)
1 tsp. dried thyme
salt and pepper

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a pie dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

2) Wash and dry swiss chard leaves. Trim the very ends of the stalks of the swiss chard. Remove ribs and stems from the leaves and reserve. Roughly chop the swiss chard leaves and place in a bowl. Chop the ribs and stems and place in a separate bowl.


3) Add olive oil to a pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions and swiss chard stems and ribs to the pan. Saute until the stems are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.


4) Add the swiss chard leaves to the pan and saute until the leaves are tender (but don't overcook).




5) Place smoked salmon in a bowl and with 2 forks, shred into small pieces. Set aside.


6) Whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add milk, nutmeg, mustard powder & thyme to the bowl. Mix well. Add cheese and fold into the egg mixture. Add the sauteed swiss chard mixture to the bowl and fold into the cheese and egg mixture. Add more salt and pepper if needed.



7) Pour mixture into the pie dish. Place your pie dish on a cookie sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and no liquid seeps when you poke the quiche.


8) Remove from the oven and cool. Cut and serve.

3 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

Yum! Look great. I will try this recipe out someday! Thanks for sharing.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I can't wait for our chard to grow so we can make this yummy quiche too. You are such a creative cook.

~Holly~ said...

charmcitybalconygarden-I hope you try it out. It was really really yummy!

malay-kadazan girl-I hope you enjoy the recipe and that your chard grows quickly! Thanks for the compliments!! You're so sweet!