CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 19, 2011

What's Cookin?: Ginisang Pechay (Filipino Sauteed Chinese Cabbage)

Ginisang Pechay is a Filipino dish. It is usually made with ground beef or pork. I wanted the dish to be a little lighter and "healthy" since I had gone all out on my eating binge back home in Hawaii. I opted for ground turkey instead. The dish is very tasty and is quick and easy to make.

It's also a great way to use up some of the abundant Asian greens in the fridge. I used a mixture of bok choy, tatsoi and pac choi harvested from the garden this week.


Ginisang Pechay (Filipino Sauteed Chinese Cabbage)
Serves: 6-8



1 lb. ground beef or pork (I used turkey)
About 4 cups roughly chopped Chinese cabbage or other Asian greens
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 sweet onion, finely sliced
4 medium tomatoes, chopped (you could use less, I just love tomatoes!)
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 c. water
salt and pepper

1) In a large pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until they are soft.

2) Add ground meat and saute until meat is lightly browned. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are tender. **Sorry, I messed up and added my tomatoes before the ground turkey. It was hard to brown the meat after that because of the water from the tomatoes. Believe me, you want to do it the other way around!**



3) Add the fish sauce to the pan. You may want to add just 1 Tbsp. and add more later, in case you don't want it too strong. I found 2 Tbsp. was about right for the fish sauce for my taste. Stir frequently and cook for about 2 minutes. Add 1 c. water. Simmer the meat until it is fully cooked (for another few minutes).

4) Add the Chinese cabbage or Asian greens to the pan. Stir in well and cook for another few minutes or until the cabbage leaves are slightly wilted. (If you like, you can separate the stalks and leaves while chopping. Add the stalks first and cook for 2 minutes, then add the green tops and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.)

5) Taste the sauce and add more fish sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice or rice noodles or as is.

5 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

Looks yummy!

~Holly~ said...

Thanks! It really was!

tangledbranches said...

That sounds delicious and easy. I didn't get around to planting Asian greens this spring - maybe in the fall - but I do have some in the fridge from the grocery store. Got to try this.

Wendy said...

looks like a great combination of ingredients!

~Holly~ said...

tangledbranches-I hope you like the dish! And I hope you get to grow some asian greens this year!

wendy-It was super quick and easy!