CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Seedling Casualties

It seems I've had some casualties. My chocolate cherry tomatoes did not make it. The first seedling I transplanted into a pot out went droopy overnight. I think it's delicate stem got bent from the wind and it never recovered. I went to the second string starter plant I had saved just in case. Although, this one wasn't very peppy looking in the first place. I plant it out anyway. Same thing. Droopy and dead.


I think the seedlings were just not strong enough. The chocolate cherry tomatoes were tall and leggy. They also got sunburnt from getting set outside for too long. I'm so sad! I really wanted to taste one of these!
My tomatillos also are living on the edge. This is the best looking of the 3 plants that grew. The leaves are looking a little droopy. I hope it recovers. I had a second pathetic looking plant I planted but that one got knocked over by the wind and quickly died.
Today I went to the nursery to see if they had any chocolate cherry tomato plants. No such luck. The nursery I went to had a great selection last year of tomatoes. This year, not so much. I ended up getting a black plum (cherry) tomato plant and another tomatillo plant. I read that it's best to grow at least 2 tomatillos to increase the chance of pollination.

Hopefully, I don't loose any more seedling. It's heartbreaking!

4 comments:

Annie's Granny said...

I'm sorry your seedlings died. You're not alone, it seems like many are having problems with their seedlings this year.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

So sorry to hear about your seedlings.

Family Balance Sheet said...

I didn't know that I needed to plant 2 tomatillos. That was my problem last year. I planted just one and nothing happened. I'll try it again this year.

~Holly~ said...

Thanks for the nice words. I guess I knew not all my seedlings would survive.

Family Balance Sheet-Yep, I read that 2 plants will have a better yield because of cross pollination. I've never grown tomatillos so I can't verify this. A few friends of mine said they only grew one plant and had dismal harvests. I'll try the two plants and see what happens.