CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 16, 2011

Restaurant Rambling: Tip Top Cafe/Bakery (Lihue, Kauai, Hawaii)

Tip Top has been on Kauai since 1916. My grandma used to work in the bakery many many many years ago. I remember her bringing home gingerbread men on special occasions for my brother and I. Boy were they good!
Tip Top's bakery has scaled down their operations. They still churn out yummy treats like cookies, malasadas (Portuguese doughnuts), eclairs and cream puffs to name a few. Most of the local clientele come for the cafe side of things. There is also a small motel above the restaurant.

Tip Top Cafe is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They're closed on Mondays. The food is cheap and the service is really quick. If you're looking for fancy decor, this is not the place. If you're looking for decent local food on a budget, look no further.
We were there for lunch one day. It was pretty crowded. The oxtail soup is the most popular thing on the menu. I haven't tried it in years but one of these days.
What I did decide on was a Loco Moco. A loco moco is a hamburger patty on a bed of rice. It's then topped with 2 eggs and smothered in gravy. It's not for the faint of heart. Top it with Tabasco or chili pepper water and you're set!

Tip Top is located near the airport in Lihue, on Akahi Street.


Tip Top Cafe/Bakery
3173 Akahi Street
Lihue, HI 96766
ph: (808) 245-2333

2 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

I've never had loco moco but I've heard it is delicious! I'll have to try it sometime soon!

~Holly~ said...

charmcitybalconygarden-Yes! You have to try it at least once! =0)