CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hawaiian Chili Pepper Water

I was asked by another gardener what Chili Pepper Water was, as I had mentioned in a previous post that I was trying to grow my Dad's Hawaiian Chili Peppers in Oregon to harvest and make my own Chili Pepper Water. Chili pepper water is used a condiment in Hawaii. It is made with the Hawaiian chili pepper. The chilis are small (about 1 inch), red when ripe and are spicy.
Chili pepper water is Hawaii's version of hot sauce (though not quite a "sauce"). We use it on everything from your morning eggs and rice, to steak, to stews, to raw fish. If you go to any "local food" shop in Hawaii, along with the mustard, soy sauce and ketchup you may also find a bottle of homemade chili pepper water. It'll be in a glass or plastic container and you'll recognize it by the whole chilis and garlic floating inside it. It's literally a water, not thick like a sauce.
You can buy Hawaiian chili pepper water commercially, but who wants to buy it when you can make it at home? Every family has their own secret recipe for Hawaiian chili pepper water. It's very cheap and easy to make. Here's the basics: water, vinegar, Hawaiian chili peppers, garlic and salt. There are numerous recipes available online. Like I said, every family has their secret recipe and ways to spice it up. The Hawaiian chili pepper packs a punch. If you don't have them available, you can substitute Thai red chilis or serranos. Try making a batch at home. If you like hot sauce, I guarantee, you'll love Hawaiian chili pepper water!!

3 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, this sounds awesome! I love spicy sauces. I never heard of this pepper before. I had a Thai pepper plant but it didn't survive. I'll have to get another one so I can try this recipe.

mac said...

I have to try this chili water. I make different kind of chili sauces but never made chili water.

~Holly~ said...

meemsnyc & mac: I hope you do try the chili water. I look forward to hearing what you think. I had a bowl of ramen the other night and wished I had some chili water!! Hopefully I'll be able to collect seeds from my plants this year to share next year.