CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 23, 2011

Harvest Monday 5/23/11

After getting back from Kauai, I had lots of harvesting to do. It's been a big harvest week and there was so much that I shared my harvest with friends.

The Swiss Chard had grown and were due for a trim. I love how bold and colorful these swiss chard stalks are.

I'm glad that of the seeds that survived, I picked a nice variety of colors and leaf textures. I love the flat leaves and the savoy leaved chard. They're so pretty and contrasting. I used some of my harvest to make a smoked salmon and swiss chard quiche that was amazing!! If you have swiss chard to use up, try this recipe!!

Lots of Asian Greens (Chinese cabbage, baby bok choy, tastsoi, pac choi). I used my Asian greens in a Filipino dish called ginisang pechay.

The one Mizuna plant I have in the raised bed went crazy.
I ended up pulling the remaining Tatsoi plants later in the week because they were showing signs of bolting. I also pulled them to make room for cucumber seedlings. There was also lots of lettuce since I thinned my lettuce bed.


I've never weighed my harvests before but it seems like a good idea. Here's this weeks totals:
Swiss Chard=0.86 lb
Asian Mustards (mizuna)=0.09 lb
Asian greens (bok choy, tatsoi, pac choy)=3.9 lb
Chinese cabbage=2.11 lb
Lettuce=0.58 lb

**Linking up to Daphne's Harvest Monday**
Happy Harvest!!

Happy Harvest!

12 comments:

Allison at Novice Life said...

That Swiis Chard is beautiful!

Barbie said...

Beautiful baskets of greens. Now where are the pictures of your visit home?

~Holly~ said...

Thanks Allison and Barbie!!

Barbie-My visit home blogs start here and go back a little bit.
http://tastytravels-holly.blogspot.com/2011/05/island-eats.html

Mac said...

I love bold colors in vegetables, they are so pretty, congrats on the big harvest.

zentmrs said...

All of your greens look fabulous!

Daphne said...

You grow all the things I do. I love all those Asian greens and chard is so tasty. Yum.

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

Beautiful...I'm not sure if I ever had Swiss Chard before...at least I know I've never cooked it before. I'll have to go check it out, looks delicious!

Wendy said...

wow, all your greens (and the bright colors of the chard)look beautiful!!! I don't see a single bug nibble either!

Robin said...

Boy your chard is absolutely beautiful! We just love asian greens around here! Nice harvest!

Rowena... said...

That is amazing how well greens do at your place. I always have a problem with pests (grass hoppers cabbage moths it appears), so I gave up on growing stuff like mizuna, bok choi and mustard cabbage.

~Holly~ said...

Mac-sometimes I choose veggies based on pretty colors. Weird eh?

Zentmrs-thanks!

Daphne-I noticed that we have the same grow lists! I love to see how these varieties grow in different parts of the country.

Charmcitybalcony-Swiss chard is beautiful growing. They do well in containers too! They taste like beet greens (same family) and are a little earthy. I love them!

~Holly~ said...

Wendy-thanks! I actually have these under row covers so the bugs haven't had a chance yet.

Robin-thanks! I love that the Asian greens are so fast growing!

Rowena-I used row covers. You should try it again with row covers! They work wonders!