CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 14, 2011

GTTC: Winter Melon (Squash)

This week's GTTC was set on Kauai. No, I didn't harvest this but it did come from a Kauai gardener. My "uncle" (one of dad's friends) gave him this ginormous winter melon (squash). It was larger than a bowling ball. I put the orange next to it for comparison. Crazy huh?

The melon has a green outer skin with a white flesh. My dad cubed and peeled just half of the melon.

He made a yummy pork, dried shrimp and winter melon dish. We still had half a winter melon left for a whole other meal!

Dad also made a yummy fruit salad for dessert. No fruits from the garden were added but it sure does look purty!


5 comments:

lotusleaf said...

That melon is real big! It is obviously great with pork. Thanks for visiting my blog.

meemsnyc said...

Wowzers, that is a giant melon! I bet it was tasty!

Wendy said...

I love how winter melon gets almost translucent when cooked and really picks up any flavor it's cooked with. Yum!

scrapper al said...

Wow, I've never seen a round winter melon, only longer oval ones (more like a King Kong sized pill). I've got one my mom grew that I need to cook. I've only had it in soup; I never thought to use it like sqush. Thanks for the idea.

~Holly~ said...

lotusleaf-It was huge!! haha!

meemsnyc-It was very tasty!!

Wendy-I love that about winter melon too!! And yes, it readily picks up the flavor of whatever it's cooked in.

scrapper al-Yeah, I usually buy the long ones here on the mainland. In Hawaii there's all kinds of different ones. Oooohhh, soup! Yummy!