CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 14, 2011

GTTC: Fiddlehead Fern (Warabi) Salad

Here's another GTTC post. Although the fiddlehead fern was not harvested by myself, it was grown on Kauai. It was among our finds at the Hanapepe Farmer's Market.
My dad makes a really really yummy salad with the fiddlehead fern. In Hawaii, we call the fiddlehead fern "warabi", although I believe it is also called this in Japan. I'm not exactly sure what goes into his salad but it's darn tasty! He mixes the fiddlehead fern, tomatoes, onions, dried cod fish and a saucy mix that makes it super tasty!

6 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I think it is called warabi too. Oohhh...I have not eaten those since mother in-law fried them with coconut a few years back. The dish look delicious.

meemsnyc said...

Oh my, this looks yummy. I've never eaten fiddlehead ferns before. What does it taste like?

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

I used to go pick warabi with my mom when I was little. We used to boil then eat with bonito flakes and soy sauce or mix it in with some cooked vegetables.I've never had warabi salad and it looks delicious!

~Holly~ said...

malay-kadazan girl: Yum! Fried with coconut sounds yummy!

meemsnyc: They don't have a very strong taste. They usually take up the taste of whatever it's cooked it. It's texture is light and crunchy.

charmcitybalconygarden: Boil with bonito flakes sounds good too! The salad is really yummy!

Wendy said...

I would like to try this too. THese are the new fronds from the ostrich fern, right?

~Holly~ said...

Wendy-I'm not sure if it's the same fern. I've never heard of the Ostrich Fern. We call it warabi or fiddlehead ferns. It's such a yummy salad. I'm craving more!