CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 25, 2011

Planting Out the Garlic and Onions

My final garden chore for the day was to plant out my garlic and some onions. I had bought the garlic because I was curious to see if I could grow them. I had some Spanish Roja and Oregon Blue garlic
As you can see, I recycled my cat's kitty litter containers. I drilled holes in the bottom and reused some soil from my pots that had tomatoes in them last year. I added compost and chicken manure.

I finally am planting out my Copra onions! Some survived and look decent. Hopefully they'll do well.

The roots for these guys looked good.

I planted about 9 in a container. I kept some of the smaller plants in the hopes I can harvest them as green onions.

I got one bucket of Copra onions planted before the rains came. Whew! What a productive Monday!

**Edited: I was asked about the garlic I planted so I thought I would include a description for others and myself (as I refer back to my blog for references during the following growing season).

Spanish Roja Garlic
- an heirloom hardneck garlic that came to Portland, Oregon (yipee!!) over 100 years ago; originally known as Greek or Greek Blue Garlic
- generally a vigorous grower with large foliage that is dark green and results in a pretty good sized bulb.
- flavor is very strong, hot and spicy and sticks around for a long time; has an especially rich taste
- it grows well in cold winter areas but does poorly in warm winter areas
- usually grows healthy, fairly uniform sized bulbs (8-12 cloves) with a thin bulb wrapper that has a lot of purple and brown in them; bulbs are usually over 2 1/2 inches in diameter
- primarily grown for their rich flavor as it is not a very good storage garlic (only 5-6 months)
- harvest in mid-season

Oregon Blue Garlic
- Northwest heirloom softneck, artichoke-type garlic that is a great producer (8-10 cloves per bulb)
- mid-season garlic
- nice hot flavor, dark green leaves and a purple cast on the skins
- good storage variety

3 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Oregan Blue Garlic, truely blue garlic?Never seen one before.

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

What a good re-use of the buckets--that's thinking! And the variety of garlic you are using is one that I have not heard of before, either. Would love to know how it does in your garden this season, if you like it or not.

~Holly~ said...

Malay-Kadazan girl: I'll edit the post with a description of the garlic.

Athena @ Minerva's Garden: Thanks! I have so many of these buckets I thought it was best to reuse them. I'm sure it's an eyesore in the garden but I'm okay with it. I've never grown aliums before. This is my first year growing onions from seed. I hope they bulb up for me. I just happened to see the garlic at New Seasons and impulsively bought them. We'll see how they do. I'll keep you posted!