CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 15, 2010

What's Cookin?: Carne Guisada (Puerto Rican Beef Stew)

I tried to gather the ingredients for this recipe in Portland but was unsuccessful. I wasn't able to find the sazon seasoning or the sofrito sauce. Luckily, I was 1 for 2 in Hawaii. I found the sazon seasoning but not the sofrito sauce. I decided to make my own sofrito. In case you're wondering, sazon seasoning looks like this.

Since I've never tried carne guisada before, I can't tell you if my version is what it's really supposed to taste like. It tasted just like a beef stew but with a deeper flavor. I like it.

Carne Guisada (Puerto Rican Beef Stew)

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1-2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (8 0z.) can tomato sauce
2 packets sazon seasoning
2 Tbsp. adobo seasoning
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt to taste
2-3 lb. beef stew meat
flour (for dredging)
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
about 1 cup water

1) Lightly salt and pepper the beef stew meat. Dredge in flour and fry in a large pot. Brown on all sides. When done browning, drain off the excess oil. Add about 1 cup water (or enough) until the meat is just covered. Bring the water to a boil and cook for about 45 minutes.

2) In a smaller pot, saute onions and bell peppers in a little bit of vegetable oil until the onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for another few minutes. Add the can of diced tomatoes and simmer over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, sazon seasoning, adobo seasoning, oregano and salt. Simmer for another 5 minutes.

3) Pour the sauce into the large pot with the stew meat. Bring the stew to a boil, cover with a lid and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
4) Serve with rice. Yummy!

1 comments:

scrapper al said...

I think it is funny you had to go to Hawaii to get your seasoning, tee hee.