CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 19, 2010

Food Finds: Lawai Menehune Food Mart Manju

I remember Mr Akaji's manju. When we were little, my mom used to take my brother and I with her to Lihue for our weekly shopping. On the way there, we would stop at Mr. Akaji's small storefront. There, in glass and wood cases, he displayed that morning's fresh manju. He made manju in all kinds of flavors. There was black bean (an), peach, pineapple, apple, etc. We could each pick one. My favorite was the pineapple. Mr. Akaji made the best manju!

Mr. Akaji passed away some time ago and so went his wonderful manju. Today, there are various places to find manju on Kauai. When I'm home, I usually stop at Lawai Menehune Food Mart. They make manju fresh daily. Let me tell you, they're no where near what Mr. Akaji made but they'll do.

Mmm....yummy peach pineapple insides.
I hand carried some of these treats back home with me to Oregon. I brought them into work to share. One of my nursing friends had one and was in love. She came back to "visit" but I knew she really wanted another one. The next day, there was still some left and she had another. It's like baked crack for her!

You can find these yummy treats at

Lawai Menehune Food Mart
2-3687 Kaumualii Highway
Lawai, HI

0 comments: