CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Food Finds: Hanalei Poi

Mmmm...poi. If you've never heard of poi, it's really an acquired taste. Visitors to Hawaii equate it to eating paste. It is made from the taro root and mashed up into a paste. It's been a staple in Hawaii's diet for centuries. It really has no taste. It's not sweet, nor salty. I guess it kinda does taste like paste.

Hahaha, I guess growing up on it, I never thought of it that way. When we were little, we would just add sugar to sweeten it up. These days with my refined (haha) adult palate, I prefer the salty route. I usually dip something salty in it like kalua or lomi lomi salmon. Most times I eat it plain. Hanalei Poi is sweeter than most poi. It maybe worth giving this paste a try! The best thing about it is that it's made on Kauai!!



Hanalei Poi

5-5269 Kuhio Hwy
Hanalei, HI
ph: (808) 826-4764

1 comments:

Wendy said...

I think I would definitely try it if I were on the island and given the opportunity.