CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Food Finds: Akule

I *heart* akule. It's my favorite fish. Some may say ahi, mahi mahi, salmon, sea bass or some other expensive fish. Mine is the cheap akule. Akule is also known as the big eyed scad. When I was little, we would have it often. When I went away to college and came home to visit, everyone knew that akule should be on the menu. I love it that much!

On the mainland, there is no akule. Heartwrenching isn't it? The closest thing we have is the saba (mackerel). At Sushi Katsu the other night, they had akule on the specials board but for $15.95, I was better off catching my own.

Luckily, I didn't have to. While at the store, I noticed fresh, line caught akule in the seafood section. Of course, you know what happened next. I brought these babies home for a fish fry. Of course, they needed to be de-scaled and gutted. I let dad do that job. The cat was onto the akule in an instant. She wanted to get in on it right away. I can't say I blame her.
The fried akule was served with rice and broiled eggplant. This is my idea of a favorite meal. Sorry I didn't take a picture of the meal itself. I guess I was too excited to gobble it all up! Believe me when I tell you it was good!!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

This sounds really good - and I love how the kitty was trying to get at it - good thing you didn't leave it alone!

meemsnyc said...

I never had akule before but it sounds amazing! I love how the kitty is trying to get at it too.