CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Crack Seed Center (Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii)

In Hawaii, we love preserved things, pickled things and exotic things. Collectively,we call these "crack seed". Most are imported from Asia (China, Japan, Thailand).Growing up, there were many mom and pop crack seed shops on Kauai. I can't think of one still in business. It's sad because as a kid, I loved these places. I loved looking around at the large glass jars filled with goodies.

While walking around the Ala Moana Shopping Center on Oahu, I was thrilled to see the Crackseed Center was still open. It's a small store, but they have all the standards. I got my dad some actual crack seed. To me, this one is too much work. I got myself some dried seedless ume, wet lemon peel (my favorite) and a new find, li hing mui mochi bits.





Bonus, I found out they have a website and you can place orders! FYI, their version of my favorite wet lemon peel is delish! I'll be placing an order for more when I get back to Oregon.

If you're ever on the island of Oahu and are at Ala Moana Shopping Center, check them out.

Crackseed Center
1450 Ala Moana Blvd, #1044
Honolulu, HI
(808) 949-7200
http://www.crackseedcenter.com/

Another place I usually order my island fixes from is www.cybersnacks.net. They are also located on Oahu and have a large selection of goodies!

3 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, love love love. I'm from Chinese decent so I love anything preserved!

Wendy said...

oh, I think you post must have been cut off but I'm really wanting to know where you got this photo - did you find a crack seed store? is this an old photo? What does crack seed mean? I really like dried and pickled things too. Makes me drool just thinking about it.

~Holly~ said...

Thanks for the comments gals! Sorry, for some reason the blog program on my phone is wanky. It only lets me post 1 photo & constantly cuts off my posts. I had to wait to get to a real computer to update the posts. Try browsing both websites I provided. Lots of great goodies there!!