CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What's Cookin?: Pickled Green Tomatoes (Tomolives)

I got this recipe off of the NPR story on canning. I recently had some green cherry tomatoes (from pruning my cherry tomato plant) and some green tomatoes (using up some tomatoes with blossom end rot). I was dying to give this recipe a whirl.

I tasted the sliced tomatoes after 3 days and they're actually good. I can't wait to try the baby cherry tomatoes pickled! I'm letting those soak for a few more days.





Pickled Green Tomatoes (Tomolives)
adapted from Cathy Barrow's recipe

4-6 green tomatoes or 2 pints green cherry tomatoes
2 1/2 c. water
2 1/2 c. white vinegar
3 Tbsp. pickling salt
3 Tbsp. sugar
4 peeled garlic cloves, left whole
4 hot peppers, either slice or leave whole but cut slits into the pepper (I used hungarian wax and jalapenos)
4 Tbsp. dill seed
4 Tbsp. yellow mustard seed
4 Tbsp. whole black peppercorn
4 bay leaves

1) Sterilize pint jars in hot water bath or dishwasher.

2) Wash the tomatoes well. If using cherry tomatoes, de-stem and make small slices into the tomato with a sharp knife to ensure the brine penetrates the tomatoes. If using larger tomatoes, cut into quarters or sixths.

3) Pack 4 pint jars with 1 chili (if using), 1 Tbsp. each of the mustard, whole peppercorns and dill seeds. Add one bay leaf to each pint jar and pack tightly with green tomatoes.

4) Heat the water, vinegar, garlic cloves, salt and sugar to boiling. Boil mixture for 5 minutes.

5) Pour the hot brine over the tomatoes. Divide the whole garlic cloves among the 4 jars and cover. Allow to cool on the counter. Refrigerate for 1 week and they will be ready to eat.

5 comments:

meemsnyc said...

This looks awesome! I'll have to try this!

meemsnyc said...

This looks so awesome. Is it also possible to process these in a hot water bath instead of doing it as a refrigerator pickle?

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

Very nice... then will you use them like pickles or ???

~Holly~ said...

meemsnyc-I don't think they've been tested for actual canning. I've just stored them as refrigerator pickles. They're yummy!

heather-I eat them as pickles but I'm sure the cherry toms would look lovely as garnishes for delicious bloody mary's or martinis! =0)

Wendy said...

Hi Holly - I'm having the hardest time with my computer. My third attempt at commenting: These tomolives look beautiful in their perfect jars. Next year, I'm going to grow tomaotes with the intent to use them green. I'm loving all the great green tomato recipes out there! Wish I could have one of these pickled green tomatoes on a sandwich or burger!