CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 13, 2010

What's Cookin?: (Meatless Monday) Kolokythokeftedes (Zucchini Balls)

I must be daydreaming about Greece again. I was craving something I had on my travels there. This is a great dish for Meatless Mondays! It's traditional taverna food in Greece. It's a fritter or Greek version of a latkes. Serve with a side of plain Greek yogurt or tzatziki sauce. I was too lazy to make my own tzatziki so bought some ready made from my favorite Portland Greek restaurant, Alexis. I recommend the tzatziki sauce if you can get it. It really enhances the taste of the zucchini balls.


Kolokythokeftedes (Zucchini Balls)
Serves 4-6, Makes about 15 balls



2 lb. zucchini, trimmed and grated on the wide side of a grater or food processor
1/2 onion grated
salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as fennel, dill, mint, parsley (I used 2/3 dill and 1/3 mint)
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 c. dry breadcrumbs, more if needed
pepper and salt
1 c. crumbled feta
flour for dredging
olive oil for frying

1) After grating the zucchini and onion, place them in a colander to remove the excess moisture. Salt the mixture of vegetables and allow to stand for 1/2 - 1 hour, tossing and squeezing from time to time. When it is done sitting, take handfulls of the mixture and squeeze out all of the extra water.
2) In a large bowl, beat the eggs and add the shredded zucchini, herbs, cumin, bread crumbs, pepper and feta. I didn't add any extra salt at this point because the zucchini had been salted earlier and the feta is on the salty side. If you chose to add more salt, use judiciously. Mix together well. Take up a small handful of mixture; if it presses neatly into a patty, it is the right consistency. If it seems wet, add more breadcrumbs. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer.

3) Heat 1 inch of olive oil in a large frying pan. Meanwhile, make zucchini patties with the mixture. Lightly dredge in flour. When the oil is hot, add the patties in batches to the pan. Fry until golden brown and turn once. Remove from the oil and drain on a wire rack.

5 comments:

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

Yum, Holly! Greek is always good for me:)

I love Alexis... we had our rehearsal dinner there many moons ago.

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, I love fritters. I'll have to try this.

Wendy said...

These look delicious!

Thomas said...

These look really good! I should put more effort into cooking my zukes this summer but alas, most of them were just grilled. This is definitely something I need to try next year.

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

Holly, did you see Saveur for this month? All Greek! I had to splurge:)