CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 6, 2010

Gardening: Harvest 9/6/10

It's the first harvest of September! Too bad I'm still waiting on most of my tomatoes! Can you believe it? September finally saw some firsts for me. My first Green Zebra Tomato and a Cucumber!


Late last week I harvested a few green beans, zucchini, strawberries and eggplant. I finally got to harvest some Green Zebra Tomatoes!!

The Green Zebras are small tomatoes. They're a green variety but when ripe have a beautiful yellow-gold color. They grow really well. The one plant I have set a ton of fruit. They have a good tomato flavor but I was surprised they weren't as tarty as I would have thought. Yummy!




This weekend saw a bountiful harvest of Millionaire Eggplant (my favorite!), a rather odd looking zucchini and my first Asian Cucumber! Yah!!
I also got a few more green beans and strawberries and a few more of the Green Zebra Tomatoes.
My cherry tomato plant was out of control so I have him a haircut. I cut down some of the branches as he was getting top heavy. I was able to harvest some green cherry tomatoes from these branches.
I also picked some more green tomatoes that had blossom end rot on them. These were mainly an Oregon Spring Tomato plant growing in a topsy turvy and a few Roma Tomatoes. I'm making pickled green tomatoes with them.

Happy Harvest!!

3 comments:

thyme2garden said...

Pickled green tomatoes? Sounds interesting! The green zebras look beautiful, and I'm also surprised to hear that they weren't as tart as you expected. I guess I just associate the color green with with tart, as far as tomatoes are concerned. I don't even know why, since I've never really had any green tomatoes!

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

I would love to hear more about pickled tomatoes if you make them... do you use them just like pickles?

Have you ever made a marinated eggplant dish with mint and capers? It is so delicious and your eggplants would be perfect... I think I'll post the recipe soon.

I am really getting nervous about our tomatoes... I had my heart set on canning my head off!

Thanks for visiting the other day and for all your sweet comments:)

Daphne said...

I hope your tomatoes get to it and produce some more ripe ones. It has been such a hard year for your side of the country.