CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 6, 2010

What's Cookin?: Sweet Onion Jam

I don't like onions. Green onions, red onions, yellow onions, white onions....they're all the same. I think it's the fresh, raw onions that I don't like. I love onion rings, pickled onions and will eat well cooked onions. I also love the flavor of them. Call me weird, but it's just my thing.

Thus, it seems rather funny that a hater of onions would have saved a recipe for onion jam. I was reminded of the onion jam recipe after reading Heather's post at www.everydaygraces.com. I decided to try out the recipe I had. I had purchased 2 sweet Walla Walla Onions from the farmers market and decided to use them up.

Sweet Onion Jam
Adapted from www.foodandwine.com (contributed by John Fleer)

1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 medium Vidalia or other sweet onions, cut into 3/4 inch dice (about 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. dry red wine
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
1/3 c. grenadine
salt

1) Melt the butter in a medium skillet. Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until soft and just translucent, about 8 minutes.
2) Add the sugar, wine, vinegar, grenadine and a pinch of salt to the pan. Cook over medium-low to low heat, stirring, until the liquid thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 35 minutes.

3) Transfer the onion jam to a bowl and let cool.


Here I served it over meatloaf. It turned out wonderfully!

3 comments:

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

Holly~ looks delish! I have that one printed up to try next, so I appreciate the photo:) Thanks for the mention!

~Holly~ said...

You're welcome Heather! I saw that you posted your recipe. I'll have to try that one next!

Robin said...

That's one variety of jam that I have never made. It sounds absolutely wonderful!! Thanks for posting the recipe!