CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 23, 2010

What's Cookin?: Red Wine, Mushroom & Swiss Chard Sauce

While still trying to participate in Meatless Mondays, I gave you fair warning. I do enjoy a nice steak every once in a while. This was that once in a while. Steaks were going on the barbie!

I had some Swiss Chard from the garden waiting in the fridge. I decided to make a mushroom and red wine reduction to use as a sauce for the steak. The kicker was that I was going to add some Swiss Chard.
This sauce turned out yummy. You can make it creamy by adding some heavy cream. I didn't have any handy so I thickened it up at the end with some cornstarch. Either way, it fancies up a plain old steak.


Red Wine, Mushroom & Swiss Chard Sauce
Servings: 6-8
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 sweet onion (I used a Walla Walla), sliced
1 bunch Swiss Chard (I used stems and leaves), cut into 1 inch pieces
1 lb. mushrooms of your choice (I used baby portebellos), trimmed and sliced
1 tsp. dried thyme
salt and pepper
1/2 c. red wine (a Cabernet Sauvignon would be ideal but I used a red wine blend)
1/4 c. beef broth
either 1/4 c. heavy cream or 2 tsp. cornstarch mixed with water

1) Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil. Add the garlic and onions and saute for about 2 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add swiss chard and cook for about 2 minutes.
2) Add the mushrooms and thyme to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir together and cook for another 2 minutes.
3) Add the red wine, stirring the bottom of the skillet to scrape up any stuck bits. Continue to cook to evaporate the alcohol. When the wine is almost gone, add the beef stock. Allow the liquid to cook down.

4) If using heavy cream: Remove pan from heat and stir in the cream. If using the cornstarch: Mix 2 tsp. cornstarch with about 1/4 c. water. Mix well to take out all the lumps. While skillet is still on the heat, stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce. Re-season sauce with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Oh my, I'm totally drooling over that dish! It looks soo good!

Wendy said...

this does look delicious!! I have lots of chard I need to find a way to use (that my family will eat). hmmm, I don't love mushrooms, I wonder what I could use in it's place?

I have a steak ready to go too...this is going to be tomorrow nights dinner - thanks!!

Stevie from GardenTherapy.ca said...

I always make my chard with a little balsamic and olive oil - this opens up a whole new world!

Wendy said...

Just back for the recipe. I got some ribeyes just waiting to be topped with this combo tonight!