CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 1, 2010

What's Bakin?: Blueberry Upside-Down Cake

After bringing over a bag of mixed lettuce to one of my neighbors, the favor was reciprocated. I was gifted a container of about 4 cups of fresh blueberries. The blueberries weren't really sweet so I searched for a good recipe to use them in. I found the perfect recipe in a new cookbook I had bought.

This cake turned out yummy! I adapted it a bit. I didn't have yellow cornmeal but used blue cornmeal instead. I also didn't opt for the skillet method. Instead, I cooked the butter and brown sugar, poured it into a 9x9 cake pan and smoothed it out. I added the blueberries and the cake batter. Be warned though, don't overfill the pan. I made that mistake and ended up with a mess in the oven. I also found that I had to bake it a little more than called for with a skillet.

Blueberry Upside-Down Cake
Adapted from: Earth to Table by Jeff Crump & Bettina Scormann

Berries:
1/4 c. unsalted butter
1/2 c. lightly packed brown sugar
3 c. fresh blueberries

Cake
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. blue cornmeal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
4 large eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 c. plain yogurt

Prepare the berries:
1) In a 10 inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is completely dissolved, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and distribute blueberries over butter & sugar glaze; set aside.

Prepare the cake:
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; set aside.

3) In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream sugar and butter until very light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and mix until smooth. On low speed, mix in flour mixture. Fold in yogurt. Spread batter evenly over blueberries in the skillet.

4) Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then run a knife around the inside edge of the skillet. Invert a large plate over the skillet and, using oven mitts, turn skillet upside down to flip cake onto plate.

1 comments:

Thomas said...

That looks awesome! I think the season for wild blueberries is coming upon us now in the Northeast. Maybe we'll have venture out to find some. Thanks for the recipe!