CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Gardening: Welcome August

As we welcome in August, things have been coming along in the garden. My summer vegetables are starting to come around. I'm hoping for a long summer in the Pacific NW!


Here's my eggplant (grown from seed). First, the Millionaire Eggplant. I'm excited about this one because they've grown by leaps and bounds in the last few weeks. There are a lot of flowers on the 2 plants. I checked and I saw the beginnings of eggplants!
Secondly, the Thai Eggplant. This one hasn't done as well but definitely looks much better than it did. The first flower got me really excited but it dropped off. Boo! I see more flowers popping up so I'll cross my fingers!

This is my first Patty Pan Squash of the summer. I hope he makes it to harvest!

I love the gorgeous squash blossoms!
This is my first year growing melons. Here's a Gold Star Melon and flowers on it's vine. I hope it turns into a melon!


I planted a lot of dill for pickles. The dill are starting to send up pretty heads. There's a little bee visiting the pretty flowers too.

Aww, don't make me blush. This is hopefully my first red tomato of the season (Cherokee Purple).
My Brandywine Tomato plant seems to be ill. Can anyone tell me what the heck this is?

9 comments:

zentmrs said...

Looks like your garden is really growing!! I bet you can't wait to get to eating some of those woonderful veggies... soon now from the looks of things!

Alea said...

Your garden is really coming along! The Brandywine tomato looks like it is going to be scrumptious!

I am growing an eggplant for the first time this year. It is a Hansel variety and I am very pleased with it; there are 20 eggplants in various states of growing, plus it is still flowering! Now I just have to figure out how to cook with it...

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

What a lovely garden, and look at that beautiful tomato and dill! I don't know what is going on with your tomato plant, either, but I'll try to see what I can find out. My gut feeling is that a bug laid an egg, which has grown into a larva young bug of some kind that is making its home in the stem of the tomato and using the plant for its food supply as well, but that is purely a guess? Are other plants affected, or only this one?

meemsnyc said...

Your eggplant looks great! I don't know what is ailing your tomato plant. Yuck. Sorry!

Just Trying To Save Money said...

Your garden looks great!! I am so jealous!!

Melinda said...

That Cherokee Purple tomato looks wonderful! I'm sorry about your Brandywine! Is it possible to remove the damaged part - or is it on the main vine?

Melinda said...

You know - on second thought - I'm thinking your tomato has some sort of blight - either bacterial or fungal. You could check http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/ or http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/diagnostickeys/TomWlt/TomWiltKey.html

I hope that helps! :)

Jami @An Oregon Cottage said...

Love the blush on your cherokee purple- I'm waiting for mine...

Haven't seen that before on the tomato stem- let us know when you find out!

Thanks for linking to the TGP!

Heather said...

The garden looks like it is coming along splendidly! Great idea with the beans... I think I might go pick some up myself.

Not sure about your poor tomato plant?? Let us know what you find out:)