CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Gardening: Tomato Tour and Late Summer Bloomers

We've had a weird spring/summer here in the Pacific Northwest. As a result, my vegetables are running way behind schedule. At least I hope it's due to the weather and it's not a reflection on my black thumb!

I've also noticed way less honey bees in the garden than last year. They were around in early spring buzzing around my Spanish lavender. Now, not so much. It makes me sad to think that the honeybees have gone away. I'm hoping they'll make a surprise appearance soon.

I've been very excited about my tomato plants. They seem to be doing well. I haven't harvested a ripe tomato yet (except for cherry tomatoes) but I have been very patiently awaiting the first of the season. I have a few fruit set on most of the varieties I've planted. I've had a ton of flowers and some have pollinated. I hope there's still time for more fruit! Here's a pictorial tour of the up and coming tomatoes....

Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato

Brandywine

Oregon Spring

Paul Robeson

Roma
Green Zebra

Cherokee Purple


The rest are some other late bloomers this summer.

Hungarian Wax Pepper

Cherry Bomb Peppers

French Green Beans
These were some pretty flowers in the garden.

Royal Burgundy Bush Beans
Millionaire Eggplant


**Linking to Jami's Garden Party at An Oregon Cottage**

9 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Your tomatos looks great! Bet they will be delicious when you do harvest them.

Heather said...

Yes, everything seems to be taking its own sweet time this year! You have way more green tomatoes than I do, but I did get to eat 3 tomatoes from the garden a couple of days ago... the only ones I've had.

Beautiful peppers and eggplant blossoms!

ana @ iMadeItSo.com said...

oh wow.. so much variety holly! thanks for sharing those photos, i learned a few new ones.

~ ana

abigail said...

yum, yum, and yum!

Alea said...

I loved seeing all of the varieties of tomatoes. Your garden looks great; you are going to have an abundant harvest!

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Beautiful tomatoes! They all have unique characteristics, don't they? I am growing 'Royal Burgundy' bush beans as well, and they are just starting to flower with gorgeous dark purple blooms.

Gina said...

Lovely garden. Looks like you'll be enjoying good eating soon!
Gina

Kristin said...

Lovely Holly!

Beth said...

It all looks awesome - great work! I'm going to have to try a Paul Robison tomato sometime in honor of the man!