CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 26, 2010

What's Bakin?: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp on a Shortbread Crust


I bought some rhubarb at the Farmer's Market after tasting my friend's dad's strawberry rhubarb pie. I'd never tasted rhubarb before that. I quickly understood what all the hype was about. It was delicious! Rhubarb is the ying to strawberry's yang and a match made in heaven! It has just enough tart to balance the sweetness in strawberries. It's funny because I'm not much of a pie person. I'll eat it, but it's not my favorite.


I was planning to make a strawberry rhubarb crisp. I love the crumbly topping of a crisp. Most of the recipes I found were for just a berry bottom and crisp on top. Personally, I like a nice crust on the bottom. Hmmm...maybe I am a pie girl afterall? My favorite crust is a good shortbread crust. I could eat that stuff by itself. I took bits and pieces of different recipes to come up with this one.

The recipe turned out okay. The filling was juicy and made the shortbread crust a little soggy. Either way, it tasted so good! I'm not saying how many pieces I ate but this definitely does not serve 6-8, if you know what I mean!! I hope you enjoy!!

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp on a Shortbread Crust
Makes a 9x9 dessert, which serves 6-8

Crust:
1 c. butter (room temperature)
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a large bowl, cream together butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. In a small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Add this mixture slowly to the butter mixture. Mix well after each addition.
3) Pat lightly into a 9x9 inch baking pan.
4) Bake in oven at 350 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
5) Remove pan from oven and allow to cool.
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling:
3 c. rhubarb (trimmed, tough strings removed and cut into1/2 inch pieces)
3 c. strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 c. white sugar
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest

1) Slice fruit and place into a large mixing bowl. For rhubarb, wash stems and slice off top leaves and bottoms. Then remove the tough strings that run vertically on the stems (just like you would remove the strings from celery).
2) Toss strawberries and rhubarb to mix. Add white sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and pour over your crust in the 9x9 inch baking pan.
Oatmeal Pecan Crisp:
6 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. chopped pecans

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Put 6 Tbsp. cold butter into a food processor. Add brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Pulse for about 20-30 seconds, until the mixture looks like small peas and just begins to clump together. Add oats and pecans and pulse just a few times to combine mixture.
3) Crumble mixture over the top of the strawberry rhubarb filling.
4) Bake about 45-50 minutes at 375 degrees F or until top is golden and beginning to brown.
Serve with vanilla ice cream. Yummo!!!

0 comments: