CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Restaurant Rambling: Ping

My dad is in town visiting. I took him down to China Town to check out Ping. I had heard good things about the restaurant and it has gotten a lot of great reviews. It was even listed in GQ Magazine as one of the top 10 best new restaurants in the country. Ping serves a variety of Asian noodle and skewered dishes.

The restaurant is located on 4th and Couch in the China Town district of Portland. We stopped by for a late lunch on a Monday afternoon. The restaurant was not too busy.


We were seated at a cozy table in the corner. I love the decor of the restaurant.

We both had a chrysanthemum iced tea. My dad loves ramen so he decided on the Baa Mii Bak Kut Teh (peppery aromatic pork broth served with simmered pork ribs, thin Chinese wheat noodles, lettuce an a spicy soy dipping sauce) for $10. I had a taste of it. It was really yummy! He enjoyed it a lot.
I had some Jasmine rice ($1) and an order of the Pork Collar (marinated in ginger, honey, soy and black pepper with a spicy Issan dipping sauce) for $7.

Ping is known for it's skewers. There is a minimum order of two skewers per item. I love Shishito Peppers so we ordered 2 skewers (sprinkled with sea salt) for $2.50 a skewer. The Shishitos were yummy. Be careful for the 1 in 10 peppers that are spicy. I managed to score the hot one of the bunch.
We also tried the Baby Octopus Skewers (marinated in lime, chilies, garlic, fish sauce & cilantro) for $2.50 each. It was very yummy! The tiny little octopus were so tasty with just a touch of heat.

I wanted to try a bunch of other skewers but I was too full. We'll have to visit again because after we ordered, we noticed the specials on the board. One of the specials was salt & pepper soft shell crab. Yum!! We'll definitely have to make a second trip back!

Ping
102 NW 4th Avenue
Portland, OR
ph: (503) 229-7464
www.pingpdx.com

2 comments:

Pam said...

Oooh, your dad's broth looks yummy! What was the grayish-black item on type? A mushroom? I can't tell.

Not sure about the pepper skewers, but the baby octopus looks yummy!!

bldrnrpdx said...

I haven't been to Ping yet- we'll have to put it on the list. We do rather like Legin and Wong's King Seafood for dinner and for dim sum (both right around SE Division & 82nd).