CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Gardening: First Harvest 6/5/10

It's my first harvest for the 2010 season! Woo hoo! I finally pulled up some of my radishes. I couldn't wait any longer.
Some of the split on the bottom. I'm not sure why. I'll have to do some investigating into this one.
Some had little holes in them. At first I thought they were birds. I had seen a bird hanging out in my raised bed one day. He was looking mighty interested. I thought he was trying to pull out the radishes, thinking they were berries. But no, looks like an icky worm or something.
Mmm...there's nothing like ripe strawberries! This one I believe is a Tribute Strawberry.

Looks pretty meager huh? Harvest total: 7 radishes, 1 strawberry and 1 snow pea. Hehehe. The peas were very sweet. I can't wait for more. The strawberry tasted as good as it looked. Yummy! I peeled away the icky parts of the radishes and added them to a salad. Delicious!!!


Edited to add:
So I did a search on why my radish was splitting. I found out that it could be either because they're too old or because of uneven watering. Also, "spicy" or "hot" radishes are because they were grown too long (not based on their size). These radishes get "hot" because they grew too slowly or are too old. I feel smarter already! =0)

0 comments: